One of the unique qualities of the Klein Competition is its corps of enthusiastic and supportive host families/individuals. If you are interested in becoming a Klein host, please review the host responsibilities below and contact Marcy Straw, Executive Director by email or by phone at 415.252.1122. In general, we prefer that hosts be San Francisco residents, but it is not a requirement.
Hosting is a rewarding experience and a wonderful way to get to know a rising performer. Many of our hosts have formed lifelong friendships with their young guests, and consider them part of their family.
WHAT WE ASK OF OUR HOSTS
Arrange or provide transportation* to and from:
- Social gatherings
- Dinner for participants, hosts, and California Music Center Board members
- Post-finals reception
*Note: Host families frequently share transportation duties by arranging carpools.
- A comfortable room
- Meals (“family style” usually preferred)
- Quiet rehearsal space
To the extent possible:
- Welcome the Semifinalist as a “member of the family”
- Attend the Semifinalist dinner
- Act as your Semifinalist’s fan club throughout the Competition
- Look for ways to support/encourage your Semifinalist’s efforts in the Competition
- Take your Semifinalist “out on the town” in San Francisco, if time permits
- Provide the Klein Competition with feedback on your experience as a host